Motivation Romania Foundation wants to thank everyone who took part in our initiative to help wheelchair users, with medullary lesions or similar functional affectations through providing them with health care products. The necessary funds to acquire these come from donations made by texting ACTIV to 8844. This is a national program, taking place during May – October 2020, in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic.
30 other packages will be delivered in August, under the same motto – #NotLeavingAnyoneBehind!
Who received health care products during June?
The 27 people* who received such sets during the month of June have medullary lesions or similar functional affectations, are wheelchair users and are part of a Motivation-led program to help with leading an independent life. They have either recently become wheelchair users, or did not yet have the chance to learn how to lead an independent life and receive guidance from our specialists – active recovery experts and kinetotherapy experts. The beneficiaries are chosen with the help of Motivation’s regional teams, based on the following criteria
- They have medullary lesions or similar functional affectations
- Are part of Motivation’s program to help people with medullary lesions
- Encounter difficulties acquiring products for protecting and maintain their health, because of reasons such as:
- lack of accessibility,
- interrupting contact with people who can help them,
- greater risk of exposure to the coronavirus infection, through the use of assistive technology and constantly having to touch the equipment
- lack of financial resources
The 27 wheelchair users – the ones benefiting from the initiative in June, come from 17 different counties (Alba, Bacau, Bihor, Bistrita-Nasaud, Brasov, Buzau, Cluj, Hunedoara, Ialomita, Iasi, Ilfov, Maramures, Mehedinti, Mures, Prahova, Satu Mare, Sibiu) and are between the ages of 15 and 55, 4 of them being children and 23 – adults.
What do the health care kits contain
The sets sent out during the month of June include health care products that will help reduce the risk of being infected with the coronavirus. A description of the products and recommended way to use them was included in the package. Each set contains:
- 4 reusable face masks,
- 1 box of one-time-only gloves,
- 2 packs of disinfectant wipes for surfaces,
- 2 liquid soaps,
- 1 disinfectant,
- 4 protective cremes.
The cost of such a set is 177.3 lei.
Where do the funds come from?
The allocated funds come from donating through SMS by texting ACTIV to 8844.
4,609.42 lei were raised through such donations for this initiative, between May – June 2020. In total, 438 text messages were debited in May and 436 in June. The total cost of the 27 sets sent out during June is of 4,787.1 lei. The project takes place during May – October 2020, in the context of the pandemic.
How you can join, so #wecanchangelives for the better
- Text ACTIV to 8844 and make a monthly contribution of 2 euros to protect the health of people with motor impairments helped by Motivation.
- Spread the word by sharing this article or our posts on our Facebook page, so we can make more friends of our cause
- If you know someone who needs a proper wheelchair, tell them to call the Wheelchair User’s Phone Line – 0800. 030. 762 – a toll free number that can be called Monday to Thursday in the 09:00-16:00 interval, and on Friday between 09:00-14:00.
*Due to legal GDPR concerns, data such as names, diagnostics etc. cannot be provided.